MY CELEBRATORY BIRTHDAY WISH CAKE


Hello Thursday! I don’t know where the weeks continue to go, but it still amazes me how quickly time seems to fly! As you can tell by the title of this recipe I am super happy to say that we reached my “Birthday Wish” goal! We raised just over $400, and I only planned on making around $250! This is amazing, and I was smiling from ear to ear on the 18th when I check to see how far we got!
I would love to thank everyone who took time to donate, and show me love! It means alot to me, more than most of you will ever understand. So for that I am so thankful!
Like I have told all you before, and I will say it again birthdays do not really mean much to me.  I just think it is a day you get to spend feeling happy, and grateful to be alive! And I did just that on my birthday, with a side of kick ass cake but with a total twist! For the cake itself I used my Banana Bread (make the exact same way, but divide into 3 5″ tins).  I layered each delicious cake between candied blood oranges, and completely drizzled with Salted Caramel Sauce from DamnSugar – this made the cake for sure!
This cake is perfect for special occasions, and honestly quite versatile as I think you can literally use your favourite cake or loaf recipe and turn it into a masterpiece!
This cake is super sticky, moist and is just a burst of flavours in your mouth.
Fun fact time: I  used blood oranges because I did not want to waste them as they were about to go off.  So for this recipes I would maybe try making candied pears, apricots, or even peaches!  Just something that goes really well bananas.  Not that the Blood oranges did not , they went perfectly but I not everyone has this citrus fruit available to them right now!
Sorry I cant stay long but I have some recipes to create, and time is not on my side today! Busy Busy Bee!
Love from your Greek Food Goddess

INGREDIENTS

  • Banana Bread Cake – three tins, greased with coconut oil
  • Candied Oranges:
  • 1 blood orange
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar
  • 1/2 cup maple sugar or coconut syrup (this is where the cake gets cheeky, but if you’re only doing once a year who CARES!)
  • Salted Caramel:
  • 1/2 of Damnsugar salted caramel
  • 3 tbsp of vegan butter
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon salt

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Preheat your oven to 350C.
  2. Prepare your ” Banana Bread” – link is in the above the recipe!
  3. Cook for around 15-20 minutes, or until they pass the tooth pick test!
  4. In the mean time lets start preparing the candies blood oranges.
  5. Add water and syrups of choice to a large pan, and reduce till the sugar has dessolved.
  6. Now thinly slice your blood orange and add it to the pan.
  7. Simmer on medium-high hit till the pith of the orange becomes tranluscent.
  8. Stir the oranges every once and awhile, and cook for about 35-40 minutes.
  9. Flip the oranges here and there so they are fully coated by this delicioous goodness.
  10. Your cakes are ready at this point so have them ready to begin layering.
  11. Cake, oranges, cake… you get it. AND you better be using the left over blood orange juice from the pan and pouring into onto the cake!
  12. Now for the Salted Caramel Sauce.
  13. Heat damnsugar (could also use Coconut sugar with Cacao, as long as you use the same ratio – Ex 2 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp cacao) in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly to avoid burning.
  14. Once damnsugar has melted, add the butter. Be careful in this step because the caramel will bubble rapidly when the butter is added.
  15. Stir butter into damnsugar until it is completely melted, about 2-3 minutes.
  16. Add the agave and gently stir. Keep watching it so it does not burn.
  17. Allow the mixture to boil for 1 minute. It will rise in the pan as it boils.
  18. Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon of salt. Allow to cool down before using.
  19. Once cooled get pouring this amazing goodness onto your cake!

Related Posts