Soothing Bedtime Golden Milk


Ever since adding “Be Rested” to my list of Intentions, I’ve been putting more thought into how I spend the last 90 minutes before I climb into bed. And by “more,” I mean that I’ve actually been thinking about it, period. If you are looking for ways to relax, unwind, and improve your sleep or if you simply like the idea of a warm, tasty beverage adding a little cozy to your evening this Soothing Bedtime Cinnamon Golden Milk recipe has been a wonderful addition to my nighttime routine, and I can see it having a welcome spot in yours too!

I’ve heard a lot about “golden milk” over the years, but I didn’t fully understand or appreciate its benefits. I’d seen enough recipes for it floating around the web to know it contained turmeric and ginger (the sources of its signature golden hue), but I didn’t connect it with sleep until I decided to get more serious about my.

For most of my life, I’ve ignored sleep as a critical component of health. Diet and exercise? Absolutely. But sleep? I reasoned that was why God gave us coffee.

After all, surely whatever I was doing in that last 90 minutes before bed was more important than sleeping.

Or so I thought.



In addition to soothing me to sleep, this golden milk has also helped me appease my nightly craving for something sweet before bed. I’ve been replacing my ritual bowl of ice cream with a steaming cup of it and find myself feeling completely satisfied.

Bedtime Golden Milk
Soothing Bedtime Golden Milk – How to make a warm, vegan turmeric latte before bed to help you sleep! Easy recipe that’s anti-inflammatory, fights colds, and offers other health benefits too.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
  • 2 teaspoons honey, plus additional to taste (to make vegan, swap maple syrup)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons almond butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Ground Cinnamon, plus additional for serving
  • 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Ground Turmeric
  • 1/8 teaspoon McCormick Ground Ginger
  • Optional additions: tiny pinch ground black pepper, ground cardamom, or ground cloves


Directions:
Combine the milk, honey, almond butter, vanilla extract, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, and any optional spices in a small saucepan. Heat over medium until warmed through, whisking briskly so that the almond butter does not stick to the bottom and the spices incorporate. Do not let boil. Pour into a mug and sip deeply.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container such as a mason jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, so I like to make a double or triple batch, then enjoy it several nights in a row. Reheat on the stove, stirring to recombine the spices and almond butter.

NUTRITION INFORMATION 
Serving Size: 1 drink
Amount Per Serving:  Calories: 129 Calories Total Fat: 5g Sodium: 181mg Carbohydrates: 16g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 12g Protein: 3g

Related Posts